Change font size Print view

Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

All 417Racing Midnight Drags talk should go here! Check here for updates, results, and news.
Share

Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Any chance that factory power adder cars in real street should be legal to run the class under the current rules except allow a stock type replacement turbo or supercharger.

AKA... The car has to run the stock type motor with the stock type blower or turbo. (No turbos/centrifugal blowers on a Cobra/GT500, No aftermarket blocks, etc. etc.)

Edit... To my underdstanding only stock housing that came on the car are currently allowed and that would be the rule change, to allow a non factory appearing housing.
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby 74novaguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:12 am

no that would be cheating!
95 S-10 DD
71 VW squareback ecotec swap
77 can am jet boat
74novaguy

is le sad

Elite Member
 
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 pm

1974 Chevrolet Nova

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby DoctorBoost » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:20 am

It says porting is allowed..... I have waited for you and Steve to race in this class since the first race.
Image
User avatar
DoctorBoost
Elite Member
 
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am

Mine is not legal under current rules because the turbo doesn't have a factory appearing housing.

Steve is the only one who might get screwed by the rule change because he had a stock appearing turbo built, but he has not been running the class up to this point.
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby GST » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Hasty wrote:Mine is not legal under current rules because the turbo doesn't have a factory appearing housing.

Steve is the only one who might get screwed by the rule change because he had a stock appearing turbo built, but he has not been running the class up to this point.


From what I understand, Steve car is a factory housing.

So why not run in extreme street?

-Kevin-
2005 Mini Cooper S - DD
1989 E30 BMW - wrecked
GST

On ramps dont have speed limits...

Elite Member
 
Posts: 3479
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby 74novaguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:41 pm

GST wrote:
Hasty wrote:Mine is not legal under current rules because the turbo doesn't have a factory appearing housing.

Steve is the only one who might get screwed by the rule change because he had a stock appearing turbo built, but he has not been running the class up to this point.


From what I understand, Steve car is a factory housing.

So why not run in extreme street?

-Kevin-


He not fast enough
95 S-10 DD
71 VW squareback ecotec swap
77 can am jet boat
74novaguy

is le sad

Elite Member
 
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 pm

1974 Chevrolet Nova

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Steve86GN » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

My turbo is a stock housing and its ready to go but what I lack is a shortblock! :fp: I dropped my parts off at the machinist on 1/3/12 and he said they should be ready in mid Feb. and now I am beginning to think he meant Feb of 2013! :oops:
User avatar
Steve86GN
Member
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:41 am

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:06 pm

I know how you feel. My stuff sat at outlaw racing engines in Camdenton (R.I.P) forever. I finally just went there and said "I'm getting my stuff" I sent everything down to O'reilly's machine shop in Springfield with plans to just get it finished and sell the car. The motor turned out to be pretty good for something I just built to get rid of. lol

It's hard to find somebody to do a Buick V-6 around here. I though your car was already running and driving.

It's probably unfair to change any rules mid-season, so it's no big deal.
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:07 pm

74novaguy wrote:
GST wrote:
Hasty wrote:Mine is not legal under current rules because the turbo doesn't have a factory appearing housing.

Steve is the only one who might get screwed by the rule change because he had a stock appearing turbo built, but he has not been running the class up to this point.


From what I understand, Steve car is a factory housing.

So why not run in extreme street?

-Kevin-


He not fast enough


::story::
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby 74novaguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:09 pm

I built one a couple years back. Wish I could've bought it.
95 S-10 DD
71 VW squareback ecotec swap
77 can am jet boat
74novaguy

is le sad

Elite Member
 
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 pm

1974 Chevrolet Nova

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Building it's not a problem, it's getting machine work done. Nobody has the equipment to line bore the blocks etc. , so if you want to put billet caps on or have a girdle setup there's nobody that I know of that can and will do it.

My motor still has the factory cast mains.
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby GST » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Hasty wrote:Building it's not a problem, it's getting machine work done. Nobody has the equipment to line bore the blocks etc. , so if you want to put billet caps on or have a girdle setup there's nobody that I know of that can and will do it.

My motor still has the factory cast mains.


Changing mains over to billet I could see the point of a line bore/hone but I've seen a couple motors have girdle put on and change to a studded main and the bores were still good.

As far as old school 4g63 engines, there is no aftermarket castings of blocks or heads. Same the same old junk that came in them from pre 1992.5.

-Kevin-
2005 Mini Cooper S - DD
1989 E30 BMW - wrecked
GST

On ramps dont have speed limits...

Elite Member
 
Posts: 3479
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:36 pm

On a Buick you have to mill the main caps and shim the girdle for the correct clearance on the oil pan rail. Then line hone. That could probably be done by somebody local, but It's not something you could send to O'reilly's either. Nobody that I know locally can line bore a Buick V-6 to go the Billet Cap route.

That's the biggest weakness on a Turbo buick. They only have 4 main caps, so even a four cylinder has more crank support.

My setup has already been faster than what is considered "safe" with the stock mains/crank/rods. To my knowledge nobody has ever been quicker with a stock block/head '89 Turbo TA.

I just don't think that a stock block Talon/ Grand National/ Cobra has an advantage over a built big block even with an aftermarket turbo or a kenne bell blower. Clearly a DSM with a 14g or a stock turbo GN is not going to have any chance of being competitive against the faster cars that are already running in Real Street. That doesn't even mention when you've got to contend with LS1's with a hidden kit :lol:
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby 74novaguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Hasty wrote:On a Buick you have to mill the main caps and shim the girdle for the correct clearance on the oil pan rail. Then line hone. That could probably be done by somebody local, but It's not something you could send to O'reilly's either. Nobody that I know locally can line bore a Buick V-6 to go the Billet Cap route.

That's the biggest weakness on a Turbo buick. They only have 4 main caps, so even a four cylinder has more crank support.

My setup has already been faster than what is considered "safe" with the stock mains/crank/rods. To my knowledge nobody has ever been quicker with a stock block/head '89 Turbo TA.

I just don't think that a stock block Talon/ Grand National/ Cobra has an advantage over a built big block even with an aftermarket turbo or a kenne bell blower. Clearly a DSM with a 14g or a stock turbo GN is not going to have any chance of being competitive against the faster cars that are already running in Real Street. That doesn't even mention when you've got to contend with LS1's with a hidden kit :lol:


Have you ever talked to Craig at the Oreillys machine shop? He is a super nice guy and will normally work with anyones needs. Im not sure they can or will do this stuff but he has done stuff for us that they normally wouldnt do just by talking to him
95 S-10 DD
71 VW squareback ecotec swap
77 can am jet boat
74novaguy

is le sad

Elite Member
 
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 pm

1974 Chevrolet Nova

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby BackinBlack » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Craig is not so nice when everyone thinks he left and then he walks into a big squirt gun fight going on in the shop. Lol
Image
User avatar
BackinBlack
Member
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby 74novaguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:44 pm

BackinBlack wrote:Craig is not so nice when everyone thinks he left and then he walks into a big squirt gun fight going on in the shop. Lol


Haha i could see that!
95 S-10 DD
71 VW squareback ecotec swap
77 can am jet boat
74novaguy

is le sad

Elite Member
 
Posts: 5950
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 pm

1974 Chevrolet Nova

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Steve86GN » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 pm

There is a good Buick guy in Tulsa and he has done the machine work on all of my stuff since I have lived here but he is not exactly quick! He does a great job and his prices are very good but you do have to be patient. Normally having one set up with billet caps, converted to internal balance and other machine work takes about 4 months but my current motor is on month 7. The shortblock is done but my champion heads ended up being cracked so we are on hold for another set of champion cnc castings right now. The guy is a full time fireman and does machine work on the side and with the drought and all of the fires he has been very busy so I can't complain--I guess saving someone's home is more important than my motor-I guess.
User avatar
Steve86GN
Member
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:41 am

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:59 pm

74novaguy wrote:
Hasty wrote:On a Buick you have to mill the main caps and shim the girdle for the correct clearance on the oil pan rail. Then line hone. That could probably be done by somebody local, but It's not something you could send to O'reilly's either. Nobody that I know locally can line bore a Buick V-6 to go the Billet Cap route.

That's the biggest weakness on a Turbo buick. They only have 4 main caps, so even a four cylinder has more crank support.

My setup has already been faster than what is considered "safe" with the stock mains/crank/rods. To my knowledge nobody has ever been quicker with a stock block/head '89 Turbo TA.

I just don't think that a stock block Talon/ Grand National/ Cobra has an advantage over a built big block even with an aftermarket turbo or a kenne bell blower. Clearly a DSM with a 14g or a stock turbo GN is not going to have any chance of being competitive against the faster cars that are already running in Real Street. That doesn't even mention when you've got to contend with LS1's with a hidden kit :lol:


Have you ever talked to Craig at the Oreillys machine shop? He is a super nice guy and will normally work with anyones needs. Im not sure they can or will do this stuff but he has done stuff for us that they normally wouldnt do just by talking to him



I have never talked to him, but I know he personally dealt with the machine work on my short block. I had Blake R. send the parts down from Lebanon, and Craig relayed any questions back to Blake.

Steve, I'm so lazy about working on cars that I sometimes like to have a good excuse not to work on mine :lol: I could probably deal with that guy and feel totally happy if things got done slow.
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby BradX » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 am

What is the difference between the stock housing and the one you are referring to? Is the compressor wheel stock?
Image
11.793@114.2mph tires and tune.
10.93@123mph with spray.
turbo set up best et:10.19 best mph:142mph
Bench Racing LSCTTFMF
User avatar
BradX
Formerly missouri_dsm
 
Posts: 3940
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:32 pm

2011 Ford Mustang

Re: Factory power adder cars in Real Street.

Postby Hasty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:28 pm

The wheel is bigger. It's aftermarket, but a bolt-in replacement, still uses the buick three-bolt header flange, still uses the integral wastegate, bolts up to the stock header, downpipe, and IC piping. It could be installed on a totally stock buick with nothing but a set of wrenches.

This in all fairness would probably be better as a possible rule change for next year. I just think a few cars like Mine or Mike's DSM (if he were still around) or something similar might have run the class if they were legal.

The current record in real street is already 9.6x I don't think there's a big threat from a DSM, Buick, or Cobra with a bolt on replacement blower, but at least it might be interesting. There are probably only a few cars in the country with a factory interchangeable turbo/blower that have EVER been quicker than the current record for real street, but I'd be willing to bet that there has NEVER been a 14g, stock turbo buick, or Eaton supercharger go that fast.
User avatar
Hasty
Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Next

Return to Midnight Drags

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest